Web development problems on certain platforms

Björn Lindberg d95-bli at nada.kth.se
Thu Sep 19 04:59:16 PDT 2002

Tony Karakashian wrote:

> >> 1) Under the tab "Våra böcker", in the pop-up menus, this character
> >> becomes a vertical dash instead (|). For instance the book "Barnets
> >> utveckling - en helhet".
>
> Try the following: Instead of using 0x96 for the code, you can use &#150.

The problem is that the character (0x96) already exists as a part of the
book title (which also is a key in the database). It's not "0x96" as a
string, but 0x96.

I have another thought, though. Would it be possible that changing the
mime-type of the input form would alleviate the problem? Like when you
have file uploading in a form, you have to set the mime-type to eg
enctype="multipart/form-data". The question I guess is wether the
erroneus conversion takes place before or after that step where the form
data is sent back to the server.

Could the problem be thought of as a bug in the affected browsers (IE
5)? Since the HTML-page sets the character encoding to iso-8859-1, one
would think that any browser that is capable of handling that encoding
should be able to correctly handle the form, no? I'm not a web expert so
I may be completely wrong here though.

Björn
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org