Mailing list trouble

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Tue Sep 17 18:26:59 PDT 2002

Alas! Steve Bougerolle spake thus:

> On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 00:09, Archaic wrote:
>
> > Excessive bounces can cause this.
>
> The mail server was down for a day or so over the weekend a couple weeks
> back.  I guess that must have done it.
>
> On the other hand, when that happened I stayed subscribed to the kernel
> mailing list, which must have piled up HUNDREDS of messages for me while
> it was down.  How come they can handle that but LFS can't?

It's not a matter of 'handling it' per se; the lkml is probably just
configured to ignore bounce messages, as opposed to unsubbing users that
bounce the mail.

For the LFS people, it's probably a bandwidth thing; they don't want to
waste bandwidth sending to you if it will only bounce, and don't want to
waste bandwidth on the bounce message itself, so the unsubscribe you.
Remember, they get a bounce message for every mail sent to the list.
That's a lot (I have no idea why lkml wouldn't unsub you).

--
Rob Park
http://www.ualberta.ca/~rbpark
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org