OT: Web development problems on certain platforms

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Tue Sep 17 09:38:03 PDT 2002

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 04:03:14PM +0200, Bj?rn Lindberg wrote:
> The reason I'm doing it this way is that the site includes some
> content management functionality. The publishing company can add books
> themselves to the database (which is a homebrewn variant, BTW), which
> is why I'm using the book title as key. I guess I could use some
> unique numbering scheme instead though.

Or maybe make the database alpha or alpha-numeric characters only? It
shouldn't be a problem for someone to enter:

thebooktitle

instead of:

The Book <insert some unknown characters here> Title

Then it's like urls. All lowercase, no spaces, alpha-numeric only so an
employee wouldn't have to learn a possibly cryptic numbering scheme.
Regardless of how the browser prints the charactes on a screen, the link
refers to thebooktitle. Would that work for your situation?

--
Archaic

--
Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of
himself.  Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others?

- Thomas Jefferson, in his 1801 inaugural address

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org