A tribute to quasar; my longest install. And testimonial to LFS.

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Sep 11 19:54:38 PDT 2002

On August 27, 2002 02:37 am, Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee wrote:
> And..even still, she runs perfectly fine, ableit a bit dated, almost 2-1/2
> years later.  It's a shame I'm removing it like-so... but otherwise, I will

Yeah speaking of old systems...I still have my broken notebook here. I wish I
could access the harddrive in it. It's one of those 3 1/2 inch drives so I
have no (known to me) way to connect it to a normal IDE bus (hints anybody)
and retrieve the system. It's running LFS-1.3 with some old X and KDE system
(KDE-1.1 I believe). I should get this notebook fixed maybe one of these
days.

> Heh.  Many people have questioned the stability and performance of an LFS
> system.  Many have said it's too much effort to maintain.  Many have said
> the security is too slack, considering there is no "Big Brother" to watch
> over you.
>
> ...but yet, I can claim it isn't so.  I've never-ever, had a box run this
> smooth, with so little problems.  She's similar to shadowfax now, same boat
> more or less.  I also know a few other "old timers" that have similar
> setups and stories.

For the ones who don't know: shadowfax is also knows as "the
linuxfromscratch.org" server. Current uptime 174 days. The only reason it was
rebooted 174 days ago was due to a mistake in the data center it's stored.
Somebody unplugged the wrong box (they thought it was one of the old
ftp.gnu.org machines but it wasn't obviously). I'm not sure what the uptime
before that was, but it was something like 6 months. The reason for that
reboot was to load a new kernel (I had to enable something in it that I
couldn't modularize so a reboot was necessary). Anyways, bottom line is that
LFS system stability is pretty good. I've seen systems running for more than
a year without a reboot at all. The only reason why reboots take place every
now and then (at least on my end) is to update the running kernels. You can
only achieve so much by updating the software. There'll be a time the kernel
needs to be upgraded. Too bad you can't do that without a reboot yet. That'll
just rock update a live kernel on-the-fly.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org