pure bash, grep, sed??? best solution?

DJ Lucas dj_me at swbell.net
Mon Sep 9 13:54:43 PDT 2002

Björn Lindberg wrote:

> The whole thing seems extremely cumbersome. Why don't you tell us why
> you want to do this, and maybe we can find an easier solution. For
> instance, to directly get the runlevels into 2 variables, you can do
>
> runlevel | read PRL CRL
>

> Björn

Unfortunately...this has not worked for me.
Could be user error :-$  hmmm  What are the variables for the return values
for Runlevel?  And nevermind! lol  /me is learning to READ READ READ.  I
could have saved quite a bit of time.  My apologies.

info runlevel

EXCERPT
Runlevel can be used in rc scripts as a substitute for the System-V who -r
command.  However, in newer version of init(8) this information is also
available in the environment variables RUNLEVEL and PREVLEVEL.
END EXCERPT

Thanks for the help.

I need somebody here to smack me everytime I ask a question that has a clear
answer in the info doc.  :-)

DJ

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org