A couple of suggestions

Jim Mischel jim at mischel.com
Sun Sep 8 19:08:31 PDT 2002

This LFS thing is great.  I can't say enough good things about the learning
experience.  The book is very well done, and the support here is excellent.
After going through an LFS build (CVS 20020831), I have a couple of small
suggestions--things I think would be beneficial additions to the book.

1)  An FTP client as part of the LFS install.  I know that this isn't
strictly necessary for all systems, but neither is shadow.  I found it kind
of funny, though, that once I booted my LFS system, I couldn't continue to
add stuff to it without first booting the host system and downloading the
source for ncftp (as recommended in the blfs book), or mounting the host
system's partition and running the frp client from there.

Oddly, I was unable to download using an ftp client from the site mentioned
in the blfs book.  I had to download the source using a browser on my
(gasp!) Windows system, and then ftp it to my web site, where I was able to
ftp it down to the LFS box.  Pretty strange.  I tried ftp from the LFS
configuration running the SuSE-supplied ftp client, from the booted SuSE
host system, and from my Windows system using the ftp client.  All failed
with a rather cryptic (and now forgotten) error message.

At any rate, please consider adding an FTP client as an optional part of the
LFS build.

2) More complete network configuration.  When I booted my LFS system, I was
able to ping IP addresses, but there was no name resolution.  I had to
configure /etc/networks, /etc/host.conf, /etc/nsswitch.conf, and
/etc/resolv.conf files.  Truthfully, I don't know if all of those are
necessary.  I just followed the directions in the "Manual Network
Configuration" section of the SuSE 8.0 documentation.  It would be very
useful for this information to be in Chapter 7 along with creation of the
/etc/hosts file.  Or maybe I'm all wet, which is always a possibility.

I'm slowly working my way through the reading list that I acquired as I
built the system.  Nothing like building from scratch to find out what you
need to learn more about.

Jim

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org