Hardware advice needed: Athlon vs P4

DJ Lucas dj_me at swbell.net
Wed Sep 4 13:11:37 PDT 2002

Ian Molton wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 15:10:06 +0000 (UTC)
> archaic at comcast.net (Archaic) wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 10:33:50AM -0400, Tony Karakashian wrote:
>>> Hmmmm...thought I'd been sayin' all along that VIA was around for a
>>> while. :) First I've heard of the irongate chipset.  I definately
>>> don't remember ever seeing it on a mobo.  I'll have to look into it,
>>> maybe I'll give AMD another chance...
>>
>> Anecdotal as it may be, Ian and I have had superb performance. I have
>> three of them. :)
>
> I have two, and have built others for friends.
>
> Stonking boards.
>
> both the ones here run 24/7. This one has been up for 20 days now,
> only taken down to move the power source (6-way) onto the wall. It
> had been up for months before that.
>
> my partners has been up for a couple months now. only died because of
> its nshitia card. grr.

Just to add to the "pro AMD" argument.  I've not had an Intell processor in
about the past five years.  Been using VIA chipsets and never really had too
awfull much trouble out of them..course that was the windows world with the
4in1.  But even in my move to linux I've still used VIA, couple of little
hickups due to drivers not being readily availible upon product launch
(KT333) or the ever so slight changes in hardware, but they've been more
than 'fairly' reliable for me.  As far as uptime..nothing to share..I still
am required to dual boot.  But managed to keep my last computer hot for
almost a year without a power interuption. :-)  Only killed that to put in a
new HDD.

DJ

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org