A few random thoughts

Robert Ian Smit robian at wanadoo.nl
Tue Sep 3 01:41:58 PDT 2002

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 01:00:19AM +0100, Ian Molton wrote:
> > Somebody with less computer experience (or less
> > patience) could quickly get frustrated not knowing what needs to be

> Sorry to be blunt (Im autistic, its my perogative ;-), but LFS is NOT
> for newbies or the impatient.
>
> feel free to write a newbie introduction, though...

But it is a shame that to be able to start using the book, you will
need a lot of stuff configured in advance.

On a new system with a virgin harddisk my options are Debian or
Gentoo.

I have an old machine lying around. At the moment it has a 1 GB
disk. Sure it's possible to have a host system and space for LFS,
but to be honest that is too much effort at an unrelated task. I
want to build/learn/install Linux, not juggle with partitions and
stuff like that.

I am sure this has been discussed a lot of times before, but being
lazy I ask; would it be possible to offer a small, gentoo-like iso,
to get people started?

I realize it may not be trivial or strays too much from the LFS
mission, but it would be really nice to have something like that.

Bob

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org