A few random thoughts

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Mon Sep 2 17:24:44 PDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 05:04:57PM -0700, Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee wrote:
> Anyways, anyways.. this is just how *I* see it.  Let's get some more
> input here.  Everyone else on the list.. speak up, eh? =)

The biggest problem I saw in the suggestions was to test the host distro
for package foo before building. That doesn't work completely. For
example; Texinfo. You may have a perfectly working host that cannot
build texinfo-4.2 but can build texinfo-4.1 and with Texinfo-4.1 you can
build Texinfo-4.2 so that leaves us with problems of not just whether
package foo is there but what version? And how did the distro guys
change it? Is it still compatable after some guy at Redhat modified the
source? I think it's a noble idea, for sure, but not one that is very
possible to script without huge maintenance efforts.

As far as partitioning; it's mentioned that you have to have a separate
partition for LFS or use the next_to_existing hint. If pushed, I would
rather vehemently defend _not_ putting in the commands of how to
actually partition preferring to believe that such a thing should be
known prior to attempting LFS.

Either way, the book has to assume some things to be able to stay
focused on it's goals.

Now with that and $1USD, you can buy a cup of coffee. :)

--
Archaic

--
Government is actually the worst failure of civilized man. There has
never been a really good one, and even those that are most tolerable are

- H. L. Mencken

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org