A few random thoughts

Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee highos at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 2 17:04:57 PDT 2002

Yo,

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 06:32:28PM -0500, Jim Mischel wrote:
> Okay, but remember, you asked for it!  Since most of my questions and
> comments are not related to actual problems with the book, but rather
> suggestions for improvement, I didn't think it'd be right to post to
> lfs-support.  That way y'all can flame me if I step out of line, and we
> won't disrupt the real business here...

Hehe. *patpats*  No worries lad.  This is the generic list.  Anything
goes here.  Feel free to talk about anything and everything here.  ;-)

> The suggestion behind all that rambling is that there be a section in the
> book, or perhaps a "For Newbies" page that's linked from the "How things are
> going to be done" page.  That section would give instructions, in broad
> terms, about how to set up a minimal mother system, including partitioning
> (remember, most distros have a "use whole hard disk" default that many
> people use and don't even realize it), and making sure that all of the
> required tools are installed.  Ideally, there would be some kind of script
> that could check for the dependencies.  This section could become quite
> extensive, if people wanted to contribute steps for creating a mother system
> from the different distros.  Or maybe this is just a bunch of "hints"?

Building a system like LFS, is not something you just do on a whim.  It
requires time, knowledge and planning.  We generally do _not_ recommend
doing it, if you're a newbie to linux, unless you have plenty of time on
you're hand and willing todo alot of reading and research ;)

For that reason, perhaps it should be elaborate more in the lfs-book as
you've brough up;  The lfs-book makes quite a few assumptions.  Such
that the user doing it, can install a working host system, with all
needed development tools and can partition the HD to free up space for
the new system.

In some ways, I look at the present process as a good thing.  If you can
do the above, then you are generally experienced enough todo LFS.  It
seems a little harsh perhaps, but imho at least.. it makes sense in a
way :)

Many people have suggested adding notes to the lfs-book, about packages
and specific requires for distrobutions.  That was more or less ruled
out, as adding needless bloat.  The book takes a very neutral stand on
what the host system requires.  I even know some people that don't build
from a "linux" system but start from another UNIX-like system ;)

And as you've mentioned, the best way you could possibility document the
requirements would be getting a hint-or something similar together.
I've heard many people suggest this over the years.  Nobody seems to
have actually tried it yet.  Perhaps the work is too dull ;o

Gerard was working on checklfs, which is a bunch of scripts you could
run to validate you're host system, such that it would check to make
sure everything was in order so that you wouldn't run into problems
later on down the road.  It would also validate the static environment
before entering chroot and so forth.

I'm not quite sure how far he got with it-especially considering how
busy he has been recently, but this may help resolve a few of the issues
you raised.

But..yeah.  It's not a simple or easy process.  In some ways, it was
designed this way on purpose. *evil laugh here*  One of the best ways to
learn things is by making mistakes and fixing problems ;)

Anyways, anyways.. this is just how *I* see it.  Let's get some more
input here.  Everyone else on the list.. speak up, eh? =)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org