Hardware advice needed: Athlon vs P4

Eamon Skelton nospam at oceanfree.net
Mon Sep 2 15:26:36 PDT 2002

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:14:07 +0200
Conrad Newton <conrad.newton at broadpark.no> wrote:

> I am about to buy a new computer, and I am looking
> for some last-minute advice.  In a nutshell, I want
> to know if there is any significant difference in
> the reliability/stability of an
>
> Athlon XP 1800 vs. Pentium 4 2000A
>
> with SiS chipset on the motherboard.
>
> There was also the possibility of getting a Duron,
> but it looks like the Athlon is significantly better,
> while not being much more expensive.

I've just bought an ECS K7S5A MB (SiS 735 chipset) and
1300MHz Duron processor. After three weeks of 24/7 use,
I have had no lock-ups or crashes. The system has proven
to be rock-solid stable. I find the Duron blisteringly
fast. Compiling a 2.4.18 kernel took 3M 45Sec. Encoding
a 44.1 KHz stereo wav file with the Lame MP3 encoder runs
at > 10X real time. Encoding the same file with the
OggVorbis encoder runs at about 5X real time. I am still
using 'slow' SDRAM, I hope it will be even faster when I
buy some DDR RAM.

$130 will buy this MB and an Athlon.  Or you could
settle for a Duron now and wait until the new year when
the price of 266MHz fsb Athlons falls through the floor
when the new 333MHz fsb chips hit the market.

Good luck with the new machine.

E. Skelton.   Cork, Ireland.

--

Linux 2.4.19