Hardware advice needed: Athlon vs P4

Jochen Schröder jschrod at uni-muenster.de
Mon Sep 2 13:08:10 PDT 2002

> Athlon XP 1800 vs. Pentium 4 2000A

I'm using an AMD 1800+ on a Gigabyte 7VRXP (VIA 333) mobo. No probs at
all, very stable. At uni we have some trouble with our server running a
1700+ on an Asus A7V333, its locking up from time to time, not
reproducable. we think it's a 3com ethernet card causing difficulties in
conjunction with the board. Didn't get around to fully testing it
though. I'd still go with the AMD. Everybody else I know uses them
without trouble.
cheers
jochen

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org