Hardware advice needed: Athlon vs P4

Tony Karakashian tkarakashian at RochesterMidland.com
Mon Sep 2 09:42:55 PDT 2002

>> Athlon XP 1800 vs. Pentium 4 2000A

Between the two, I will always choose the Intel chip.  I
have, over the years, had nothing but trouble with the VIA
chipsets that the majority of AMD-based mobos use.  Stability
is the primary issue, with compatibility and performance a
close second and third.  I made the mistake of building my
wife's machine using and AMD, and her machine locked up
regularly.  I upgraded the drivers for the chipset, and saw
a significant drop in performance.

I've also never had a VIA mobo that didn't have compatibility
issues with SCSI cards.  It's never failed that it was my
particular card that the chipset wasn't compatible. :)

The final issue, as someone else mentioned, was heat.  If the
fan on your AMD processor dies or falls off, you're out a
processor.  It only takes a couple minutes for the AMD to
burn itself up.  The newer Intel chips with Speedstep will
actually just slow themselves down to until they reach a
reasonable temp.

HTH,
-T
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org