Hardware advice needed: Athlon vs P4

Justin Hibbits jrh29 at po.cwru.edu
Mon Sep 2 08:33:54 PDT 2002

> more of the same.  If $130 will buy me a guarantee,
> I am willing to pay.  Otherwise I will go with AMD.

$130 won't buy you a guarentee.  No matter what, problems may come up.  I
personally prefer the Athlon XP1800+.  I've got it overclocked, and it still
works like a charm.  But, the drawback with using Athlon (inherent from Alpha)
is the heat issue.  If you read on the web, there's info talking about the heat
problems with the Alpha (tightly designed core, transisters have no space to
breathe), so you need a huge heatsink and fan that's pretty damn loud (of
course, noise does vary b/t fans :) )

Long story short, if you don't care about the heat, Athlon gives you better
performance for the money (you can buy 2 athlons for the price of 1 P4).

Justin Hibbits