Hardware advice needed: Athlon vs P4

Conrad Newton conrad.newton at broadpark.no
Mon Sep 2 08:14:07 PDT 2002

I am about to buy a new computer, and I am looking
for some last-minute advice.  In a nutshell, I want
to know if there is any significant difference in
the reliability/stability of an

Athlon XP 1800 vs. Pentium 4 2000A

with SiS chipset on the motherboard.

There was also the possibility of getting a Duron,
but it looks like the Athlon is significantly better,
while not being much more expensive.

The computer will be my workstation.  It will
compile LFS, and occasionally do other demanding
tasks, but it will not be constantly busy.

I am not at all worried about small differences
in performance.  The reason for my question is
that there is a price difference between the two
($130, I am willing to pay more for better reliability),
but I want to know if there really is any significant
difference long-term.

I have read a lot of hardware reviews, but not
surprisingly none of them seem to address the
long-term picture.  I have had two hardware
problems in the past year, including a collapsing
Fujitsu hard drive (it was new), and I want to avoid
more of the same.  If $130 will buy me a guarantee,
I am willing to pay.  Otherwise I will go with AMD.

Thank you in advance for any pointers to more
information, war stories, etc.

Conrad

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org