HLFS Build Notes (Smlacc1)

Dean Takemori deant at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Apr 6 00:14:31 PDT 2012

> Wed, 4 Apr 2012 09:23:19 -0400
> From: Smlacc1 <smlacc1 at gmail.com>
>
> Im trying the same thing (gcc 4.6.3), but on an arm processor.  I succesfully finished lfs standard, and am now trying hlfs.  On the stage 1 section, modifying linux.h to add the fpic options looks a bit different.  The file in question is "linx-eabi.h" under gcc/config/arm, and the "#define CC1_SPEC line looks like this:
>
> #define CC1_SPEC.                  \
>  LINUX_OR_ANDROID_CC (GNU_USER_TARGET_CC1_SPEC,          \
>                                                GNU_USER_TARGET_CC1_SPEC " " ANDROID_CC1_SPEC)
>

> Any ideas how i format this to add the fpic part?

PURE GUESSWORK

I guess I'd try either editing linux-eabi.h like so:

#define CC1_SPEC.                  \
  LINUX_OR_ANDROID_CC (GNU_USER_TARGET_CC1_SPEC " %{fno-pic|fno-PIC|fpic|fPIC:;:-fPIC}",          \
                                                GNU_USER_TARGET_CC1_SPEC " %{fno-pic|fno-PIC|fpic|fPIC:;:-fPIC} " ANDROID_CC1_SPEC)

OR perhaps modifying the definition of GNU_USER_TARGET_CC1_SPEC, which is in gcc/config/gnu-user.h

#define GNU_USER_TARGET_CC1_SPEC "%{profile:-p}"

#define GNU_USER_TARGET_CC1_SPEC "%{profile:-p} %{fno-pic|fno-PIC|fpic|fPIC:;:-fPIC}"

Either way, the HLFS book says that glibc will check for default PIC compiler, so look for

	"checking whether -fPIC is default... yes"

in the Temporary glibc's configure run to see if it works.

-dean takemori