GMP-5.0.1 Test Failure - Chapter 6

Mr. T mr-t at jabcross.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 12:53:45 PDT 2011

On 26/02/2011 04:14, Steve T wrote:
> On 26/02/2011 03:57, Robert Connolly wrote:
>> This is fixed upstream, in the unstable branch. Try this patch:
>>
>> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~robert/new/patches/gmp-5.0.1-pic.diff
>>
>> and let me know if it works please.
>>
>> robert
> Thankyou again Robert. It may be a couple of days before i get to try it
> now but will message straight back with the results.
>
> Steve.
Well, good news overall, I managed to get to a fully booting system
after some delays at home.

These are the things i came across :

1.    The gmp pic patch mentioned above works perfectly so could do with
adding to the book.

2.    The grsec patch listed in the patch list is not available. Grsec
has been bumped a few times and the latest one (Ending 201103122250)
plays nicely.

3.    Chapter 6 gcc testing.  A large number of the tests reported
failed with the somewhat common 'Excess Errors' message, but the testing
continues anyway and the final build works ok.  Enough to build the
remainder of the book anyway.

4.    Chapter 6 sanity checks. grep -o '/usr/lib.*/crt[1in].*succeeded'
dummy.log reports success for crti.o and crtn.o, but NOT crt1.o as
suggested there.  I know when I built 20080603 only i & n were shown in
the expected output.  Could/should this be the same case here ?

5.    A quick look through dummy.log (attached) shows a number of libs
fail to open at /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.2  All but 2 of these
already exist in /usr/lib at this point though.  It doesnt stop the
build in any way. Are these expected or would we benefit by creating
some symlinks for them ?

6.    The remainder of the book built without issue.  Chapter 6 gcc
testing has always been a pain in the butt; it feels very similar to how
it happened with 20080603 though and that worked just fine.

7.    Grub-1.98 failed initially with a quite weird error but Ive been
unable to reproduce this and it has subsequently built ok.  That said,
Im sticking with legacy for the time being :)

Now I'm looking forward to the next round of updates, as per the latest
'to-do' message on 20th Feb.

Regards,

Steve