quick and dirty tmpnam replacement

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jun 6 15:39:58 PDT 2011

On Monday 06 June 2011 00:34:36 Rogelio Serrano wrote:
> im using gcc 4.6.0 on pax and this is the only way i could build gnu
> patch. i tried to fix it properly by using mkstemp but it requires
> extensive modifications.
>
> whats the issue with tmpnam? is it the easy to guess filenames? is it
> the possibiliy of the filename being leaked somehow?

Patch upstream rejected our last mkstemp patch, saying that tmpnam and mktemp
were being used in a safe way. If Patch won't build with gcc-4.6, I suggest
you check if it has already been reported, and if not then report it to the
GNU project.

Fedora probably has a patch for this. You can check with them too. I lost the
url for their patch archive.