To do list (February 2011):

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Feb 20 19:52:15 PST 2011

Hi.

This is a short to-do list for immediate needs. If any of you have idea please
feel free to discuss it or add to it, etc.

This is all easy and doable stuff. The book seems to be building without issues
now, with SSP, _FORTIFY_SOURCE, and -fPIE enabled in GCC. More is coming,
please be patient.

The GCC test suite is the only test suite that needs to be fixed. All the rest
are good, as far as I know. This was fixed before by using the GCC pass 1 specs
(/tools/bin/x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-gcc -dumpspecs) copied to gcc/specs in the
gcc-build/ directory before 'make check', however GCC pass 1 is a cross
compiler now, and when I tried to use them the test results were terrible. The
idea being that GCC pass 1 is close to vanilla specs, except for -fPIC. I
think this idea should still work with some more tweaking. There are ideas for
plan B and plan C if this idea fails. It would be nice to get this test suite
to pass.

I want to convert the NetBSD test suite for libssp to use GNU make, so that we
can run this test suite after GCC pass 2 is installed. It's a nice test suite.
It tests both SSP and _FORTIFY_SOURCE. The tests included with Glibc and GCC
are also good, but do not assume that we enable these options by default.
NetBSD may or may not test for all the same functions fortified by Glibc, so
this needs to be verified, and extra tests added if needed. There is also a
paxtest package, and libsafe package, which also include similar toolchain
tests.

I would like to resolve these issues before proceeding to adding more packages
like libcap and iptables, but I might add libcap fairly soon regardless.

The Coreutils test suite was picky about mount options. I did get the vast
majority of tests to pass before... tests that would normally be disabled on
LFS due to missing ACL support. A note needs to be added to chapter 2 about
this. Extra mount options will be necessary to use posix capabilities, to
disable suid-root bits.

After this, firewalling and system logging are the next priorities.