capabilities and privilege escalation

Kevin Day thekevinday at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 14:31:20 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:53 PM, Robert Connolly
<robert at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On Monday 22 August 2011 18:46:54 Kevin Day wrote:
>> I find /etc/mtab to be of poor taste.
>> I have a bunch of patches that fix software to use /proc/mounts and
>> not /etc/mtab.
>> Thus leaving all of the mounted device listing to the kernel (who is
>> always correct).
>> Then there is no need to worry about clobbering /etc/mtab. (especially
>> if your on a read-only or limited-write system).
>
> Can I see your patches for util-linux-ng? Or all the patches?
>
> robert

I am attaching it, hopefully it does not get blocked.
The following programs need patches to use /proc/mounts
- eject
- glib
- samba (it tries to do writes to /etc/mtab itself!)
- util-linux-ng
- xine-lib
- uClibc (yep, i still use it for better and worse)
- glibc

Any application that properly uses the libc's _PATH_MOUNTED should not
need to be patched but should obviously need to be
installed/reinstalled after applying the glibc/uclibc patch.

--
Kevin Day