SVN-20110814

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Aug 14 14:13:14 PDT 2011

I added a bit more this weekend.

The suid-root stuff has been replaced by linux caps. write(1) and wall(1)
remain setgid tty.

I added Glibc and Binutils patches for PaX, and added --enable-bind-now --
enable-stackguard-randomization.

Added strlcat/strlcpy patch to Glibc. Perl and Libtool use it, if I remember
correctly.

Added XZ-utils and Strace to chapter 6. Strace only comes in tar.xz.

Next is Iptables.

I played around with getting agetty to run as non-root, until it tried to
start /bin/login as a regular user. login is hard coded not to run as a
regular user, so it'll need to be patched. Agetty didn't need capabilities,
only file system permissions. This is what strace is for.

I heard about stability problems before. I'm building HLFS from HLFS, and
nothing bad is happening, so it looks good. Glibc test suite passes perfectly.