binutils version

robert baker robertmbaker at gmail.com
Fri May 14 20:23:13 PDT 2010

I went ahead and did some checking on the compiler warnings that
binutils produces. There are 27 warnings that come from
binutils-2.19.51 (we already use --disable-werror in the book). There
are 30 warnings that come from binutils-2.20.

The three additional warnings that are produced are as follows:
syslex.c:1271: warning: 'yyunput' defined but not used
arlex.c:1396: warning: 'yyunput' defined but not used
ldlex.c:3362: warning: 'yyunput' defined but not used

yyunput is not defined by any code added by the pax patch. In fact
none of the warnings in either build are a result of the pax patch.
When compiling without the patch the warnings are exactly the same. As
such I don't see much reason for holding back on binutils-2.20.

RBaker