Order problem

robert baker robertmbaker at gmail.com
Thu May 13 11:35:04 PDT 2010

On the web its:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs/view/unstable/temporary_system/index.txt

If you snag it from SVN make sure you get the onward branch, and it's
in temporary_system/index.txt

Right now the most of the temporary tools should build to completion.
I have yet to bump package versions, but my working copy is functional
using gcc-4.4.3 glibc-2.11.1 and grub-1.98.

In order to get packages built with fortify source enabled by default use:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~rbaker/gcc-4.4.3-fortify_source.diff

This patch will work with both the gcc version currently in the book,
and gcc-4.4.3.

Also if you plan to build xz I found I needed to add a sed command
after the configure script because of a failure to use -fpic. The sed
command is below:

cp -v src/liblzma/Makefile{,.orig} &&
sed 's/CPPFLAGS = /CPPFLAGS = -fpic/' \
        src/liblzma/Makefile.orig > src/liblzma/Makefile

After further testing and consideration I may add this to the book. I
say may because I am not entirely certain xz is necessary in the base
system. Considering all the packages can be found in either bzips or
gzips.

Furthermore there is iirc a problem building libcap. Probably another
textrel, but I would rather use libcap-ng as it is still being
maintained. There is some discussion to have there though because
libcap-ng requires python.

Let me know if you have any further questions.