onward branch

Dean Takemori deant at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Mar 17 02:29:05 PDT 2010

It took endless rebuilds, but I found the cause of the Temporary
system gcc pass2 build problems I've been having.

It's due to this:

#define STANDARD_STARTFILE_PREFIX_1 "/tools/lib/"

According to the GCC online docs,  (http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/Driver.html)

> "Define this macro as a C string constant if you wish to override the standard choice of /lib as a prefix to try after the default prefix when searching for startup files such as crt0.o. STANDARD_STARTFILE_PREFIX_1 is not searched when the compiler is built as a cross compiler."

The problem is that for some reason, during the second gcc pass,
configure mis-diagnoses the build as a cross-compile; even if I
explicitly set --build, --host and --target to i686-pc-linux-gnu

I haven't figured out the WHY this is happening, but the workaround
is to not to modify the contents of gcc/config/linux.h

-dean takemori