Package Management

Michael DeLuca delucamd at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 11:06:12 PDT 2010

>From the readme:

"A two user package/file management system was found to be the most
practical solution. This means new packages are installed by an
admin-helper. The package's installed files are recorded, and the
ownership is changed to the admin. This stops new packages from
overwriting the files of another package, allows us to catalog
installed package files (so ownership can be reverted for upgrades),
and disallows root from modifying them without the FOWNER capability.
A multi-user package management system (such as the
more_control_and_pkg_man.txt LFS hint) was found to be overly
complicated, and has no advantage over the two user system."

I'm interested in implementing a system like this.  I looked at the
referenced hint and found it complicated.  I get the basics.

- Install a package via user other then admin
- Record the files it installed
- Change the ownership of those files to admin

But...

- How would you set up the filesystem to allow this to work?
-- Put the sticky bit on all directory's and have them owned by a
group that the admin and admin-helper groups are able to write to?

Any help and/or hints to get me going in the right direction would be great!