Error when compiling glibc

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 18 06:32:24 PST 2010

On Thursday February 18 2010 08:10:15 am Robert Connolly wrote:
> On Thursday February 18 2010 01:41:58 am Michael DeLuca wrote:
> > I'm getting the following error when trying to compile the temporary
> > glibc:
> >
> > /srv/lfs/hlfs/build/glibc-2.9-20090518/obj/elf/librtld.os: In function
> > `_dl_start_final':
> > /srv/lfs/hlfs/build/glibc-2.9-20090518/elf/rtld.c:294: undefined
> > reference to `_begin'
> > /hlfs-tools/bin/ld:
> > /srv/lfs/hlfs/build/glibc-2.9-20090518/obj/elf/librtld.os: relocation
> > R_386_GOTOFF against undefined hidden symbol `_begin' can not be used
> > when making a shared object
> > /hlfs-tools/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make[2]: *** [/srv/lfs/hlfs/build/glibc-2.9-20090518/obj/elf/ld.so] Error
> > 1 make[2]: Leaving directory `/srv/lfs/hlfs/build/glibc-2.9-20090518/elf'
> > make[1]: *** [elf/subdir_lib] Error 2
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/srv/lfs/hlfs/build/glibc-2.9-20090518'
> > make: *** [all] Error 2
> >
> > I'm using an LFS host system and have successfully built the temp tool
> > chain following the SVN HTML manual.  I'm wish to use more up to date
> > packages and am attempting to build a hardened system following the
> > onward branch.  I have used the exact package versions, patches and
> > scripts from the onward branch and I believe this error is occurring
> > when building the glibc library's.
> >
> > binutils-2.19.51
> > gcc-4.4-20100216
> > gmp-5.0.1
> > mpfr-2.4.2
> > glibc-2.9-20090518
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> I'm not sure about the error, but I'm planning to upgrade the book to
> Glibc-2.11.1.

I'm working with GMP and MPFR right now. CLFS installs c++ version of GMP, but
nothing seems to use it, so I'm checking that. Coreutils uses GMP, Acl, Attr,
and Libcap, so I want to add those.

GMP can also use decimal floating point, from GCC, but I have no idea which
packages can use this. This isn't a priority, but I want to investigate it.

PPL and Cloog should also be added. GCC can use them now, and they will be
required for gcc-4.5.

If xz utils, and tar, are installed early, then lzma tarballs of many of the
packages can be used instead of gzip or bzip2 copies. This isn't a high
priority.

Glibc will take the most time to upgrade because of the patches, so I'm doing
other things first. I know that the configparams are different in 2.11.1.
There's a bug in the issetugid patch that Mozilla showed me.

When I think the temporary tools are working again I'll announce it on
hlfs-dev.

I have other things on the list of things to do, like adding conservative
optimizations (-fomit-frame-pointer and linker optimizations) to compensate
the performance loss, adding NSS,

Getting temporary tools to build and pass tests is the first priority. The
rest comes after, and then the final system.