maintainers

robert baker robertmbaker at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 13:26:48 PDT 2010

Much of the work to bring the HLFS temporary tools up to the package
level of LFS has been done already. There are some minor version bumps
that need to be made to be at or above LFS stable package versions.
The following are the packages in question.

Binutils - bump from 2.19.51 to 2.20 (Compiles clean. Haven't checked
test suite yet)
Gcc - bump from GCC-4.2 snapshot to 4.4.3 (Patches apply cleanly.
Haven't compiled yet.)
Grub - bump from 0.97 to 1.97.2 (Will check what this requires when I get there)
Tar - Bump from 1.21 to 1.22 (No patches, should be simple.)

Obviously GCC would be the major hurdle here. But since the patches
apply cleanly to 4.4.3 we may be in business. I am building a fresh
/tools right now with updated package versions and will update the
list as I make progress.

A cursory milestone layout for Point 1 in my last mail would be as follows.

1. /tools completion. Including all patches intended for toolchain.
2. Bootable /tools completion.
3. Final system build. (LFS Chapter 6)
4. Rebooting to Final system. (Includes LFS Chapters 7 and 8)

These milestones would be broken down into individual action items so
there is a clear sense of direction and purpose in each step to be
taken.

>From what I am gathering there are a couple of action items to knock
out to get all of the glibc/gcc patches and options we want applied.
But the bulk of the ground work is laid to reach the /tools completion
milestone quickly. I could see a significant amount of man
hours/compile time going towards gcc and glibc alone so those would be
my biggest concerns on the front end. Once a level of satisfaction has
been reached with those two packages the rest should fall into place
fairly quickly.

I am very interested in hearing feedback on my proposals.

RBaker