maintainers

robert baker robertmbaker at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 22:43:56 PDT 2010

I am sure everyone understands the position you find yourself in.

I am interested in playing a more involved role. I know I haven't
contributed much as of yet, and have been quiet on the list. This was
mostly due to the lack of a direct project plan and outlined
milestones. If nothing else I would like to take some time to propose
short term goals.

1. Package refresh up to LFS stable where applicable. (Already in progress.)
2. CLFS style Cross compile instructions for x32 and x64. (Groundwork
laid in 64bit patch updates and temporary bootable /tools.)
3. Return to XML style book. (Shell scripts can be generated from XML
book, or ALFS can be used.)
4. Completion of book text.

I would consider point 3 to be debatable, but my reasoning for that
point is that it is the single largest divergence from the *LFS books
as of yet. Generating scripts from the XML files should be a fairly
reasonable undertaking. ALFS has worked for me in the past, but I am
not clear on the level of maintenance on that project. Either way I
think the XML book has it's merits.

All four of those items can be broken down into a series of milestones
and man hours can be assigned to each of the tasks leading to the
milestones. At which point it would be possible to give target dates
for the completion of each task. Much of this work can be divided
among anyone who is willing to help, but I think a clear schedule of
work is the most important factor in pushing the project forward.

As a show of support and good faith I will be working toward point 1
starting with a package by package review of what needs updating. I
will follow up on this mail with a list of packages and what I
consider a reasonable breakdown of the work involved. I should be able
to compile that list tomorrow and begin working to toward goal 1 after
I send a follow up email.

RBaker