Linux kernel version in Onward.

Heiko Zuerker heiko at zuerker.org
Sat May 16 06:49:33 PDT 2009

Quoting robert baker <robertmbaker at gmail.com>:

> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Robert Connolly
> <robert at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>> I didn't see any reports of problems in the grsecurity forum, but I
>> also have
>> problems with the newer 2.6.27 branch and grsecurity. The 2.6.27.10 patch is
>> 5 months old, but grsecurity generally updates the stable patch quickly if
>> any security vulnerabilities were found in kernel version of the patch.
>>
>> I suggest using 2.6.27.10... this will cause the least amount of
>> problems. The
>> alternative is using the testing patch for 2.6.29.3.
>>
>> robert
>
> Yes 2.6.27.10 worked well. That is what I used when building the
> Onward temporary tools. I was condering doing a build with the testing
> patch for grins.

I heard of problems with grsecurity and 2.6.29.3, not sure if it's
fixed yet (seems like Brad released a new version 3 days ago).
2.6.29.2 works fine for us, get the patch here worst case:
ftp://ftp.devil-linux.org/pub/devel/sources/1.3/grsecurity-2.1.14-2.6.29.2-200905040840.patch.bz2

2.6.29 introduces a whole new set of problems, since some of the
Kernel include files changed. If you happen to run an app which has
issues, most of them have patches now (you may potentially find them
in the same ftp folder as mentioned above). Other than that the Kernel
seems to be fine.

--

Regards
   Heiko Zuerker