To boot or to Chroot.

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 12 19:56:36 PDT 2009

On Tuesday May 12 2009 10:33:09 pm robert baker wrote:
> I am curious what your oppinion is on converting to a structure more
> like CLFS. Giving the option to boot or chroot depending on your hosts
> features.

I was thinking something like a chapter for /tools, another chapter for
building a system to reboot with udev etc, and another chapter for final
system. The reboot chapter could be skipped if you chroot. I think a lot of
users will need to reboot, unless they modify their host kernel in advance
with prerequisites. I don't know of any distro with a kernel that has all the
drivers needed to pass glibc's test suite, and posix capabilities, except
maybe the newest Slackware.