Pushing forward with Onward.

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 17 11:09:20 PDT 2009

On Wednesday June 17 2009 12:28:01 pm robert baker wrote:
> Build Failures:
> Libcap
> This fails to build because of some conflict between capbility.h in
> libcap and types.h in the kernel headers (I am still useing 2.6.29.3
> so this may not happen with 2.6.27.10) It can be worked around by
> declaring
> #include <linux/types.h> in progs/capsh.c before #include
> <sys/capability.h>

See if this patch helps:
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/devel/libcap/libcap-2.16-headerfix.patch?view=co

> Bash
> Because I was following along with the SVN-20080603 instructions, and
> using the version of bash from Onward I hit a snag. Evidently there
> are some new functions in the builtin readline that comes with bash.
> These functions are not in the latest stable readline so builds fail
> unless you allow bash to build it's builtin readline. Can we omit the
> readline package or do other things depend on it?

LFS is using --with-installed-readline (system readline). There must be a way
to make it work.

I'm also working on glibc-2.10.1 patches. The existing patches have a couple
problems.

I simplified the arc4random patch, using netbsd's arc4random.c ported to
linux. Made __arc4random_stir a weak alias so the internal version is always
used, and so it never conflicts with a function in the application or another
library. I'm figuring out a test suite for arc4random() just to see that it
works.

The mktemp_urandom patch uses the wrong error number when /dev/urandom doesn't
exist.

Fixed mkstemps to use /dev/urandom. I found a test suite from INN (the news
daemon).

Made strlcat/strlcpy non-static, so they're in the shared library. This will
break binary compatibility with other distributions. I found a test suite
from INN.

Some of the patches were using read(), instead of __read(). Fixed that.

What's the view on upgrading GCC?