Readjusted linker issues etc.

robert baker robertmbaker at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 20:55:58 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 7:53 PM, robert baker<robertmbaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Robert
> Connolly<robert at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>> Use the specs from gcc pass 1. You shouldn't need to edit the linker or start
>> files assuming your host system is Glibc. Remove the -fPIC, and
>> add "-fno-PIE -fno-stack-protector" to cc1: and cc1plus:, unconditionally.
>> These two options are hard coded in GCC. All other options are done in the
>> specs file, but gcc pass 1's spec file is vanilla except for -fPIC. Copy this
>> spec file to /tools/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.1/specs just for the
>> Binutils tests. I did this a while ago and all tests passed.
>
> D'oh. I thought I had tried that, but my mistake was that I doubled
> back for testsuite checks after installing gcc. Long story short I
> amended the specs file, but put it in the wrong location. Thanks for
> sending me in the right direction!
>
>  The PT_PAX patch is an exception. Upstream/Pax doesn't maintain the
>> test suite, I do, so some test may fail because of the extra program header.
>> These are easy to fix. I forget if I checked whether the current Pax patch
>> passes test suites, it just needs to be tested on a vanilla system to check.
>
> One Pax related failure as mentioned. The test just doesn't expect the
> pax header to be in the output.

> The only other failure that remains after getting an amended specs
> file in place is the FAIL: ld-i386/hidden2 mentioned earlier.

Ok somehow I missed the patch that Robert Connolly made for
binutils-2.19.1 and I was using the patch for binutils-2.9 that is in
the onward patches.txt. All tests pass in binutils, glibc, and gcc
using an amended specs file, and the binutils-2.19.1 patch. We need to
bump the version of the pt-pax-flags patch in onward to avoid these
failures.

Robert Baker