kernel-2.6.14.6 & frandom

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jun 7 17:46:54 PDT 2009

On Saturday May 30 2009 07:42:34 pm Robert Connolly wrote:
> class_device_create(9) was removed from 2.6.28. device_create(9) was added
> during the migration to use a new device api, and is almost drop in
> compatible.
>
> I compared to the device_create() in mem.c, and frandom.c's device_create()
> arguments are identical, so I think the NULL's are in the right place.
>
> I'm doing a second build to confirm the only thing needed to fix
> linux-2.6.24.7-frandom-1.patch for the latest kernel
> is 's/class_device_create/device_create/'. My first test build with a
> minimal config built frandom.o without warnings or errors.
>
> Need to reboot and try it to be sure, and I'll repost to this thread.

I'm held up a bit. I haven't rebooted because I'm also testing Glibc patches,
but I expect the above will work.

It's been a while since anyone properly tested /dev/frandom or /dev/erandom,
so it's due for a serious randomness test and benchmark to see that all is
well. When the next patch is believed to work I'll try to test to confirm
with Diehard tests, and whatever else I can find to test it.