Pure 64bit temporary tools notes.

robert baker robertmbaker at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 18:48:45 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Joey Parrish<jparrish at layerxtech.com> wrote:
> I prefer pure 64-bit to multi-lib.  Perhaps we should follow Debian's
> example, where they make a pure 64-bit build (with symlinks from lib64 and
> lib32 to lib) and put any 32-bit compatibility code into /emul/ia32-linux.
>  That way, 32-bit is segregated from 64-bit and can't cause confusion.
> I've gone through Onward by hand to build a pure 64-bit system from a Debian
> AMD64 host.  I haven't done much with it other than boot it as a VM, but it
> does work.
> --Joey

I lean towards a pure 64bit system because it *should* work just fine.
Of course fine  is relative, and as evidenced by grub's
incompatibility it would seem there are still some issues. This is my
first go around with a 64bit build so it is a learning experience, and
I have no idea what may or may not work with 64bit libs. It does
appear that some build failures can be fixed with symlink tricks
etc...

I really do need to go back and look at debian's x86_64 install for
some inspiration.

Thanks for the feedback,
Robert Baker