Pure 64bit temporary tools notes.

robert baker robertmbaker at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 18:58:46 PDT 2009

Over the past couple of nights I have been entertaining myself with a
64bit build. I started with the lfs-live-64bit cd. The changes needed
in the Onward temporary system tools are fairly trivial. With a
standard x86 build while setting up gcc for the pass1 build we add
%{fno-pic|fpic|fPIC:;:-fPIC} to the CC1_SPEC inside
gcc/config/i386/linux.h. Also while setting up gcc for the pass2 build
we install a few patches that modify gcc/config/i386/linux.h. Because
I was building x86_64 these amendmants needed to be ported to
gcc/config/i386/linux64.h. Also because I was building a pure64 build
as outlined in CLFS I used the pure64 patch to instruct gcc to
find/install libs in /lib rather than /lib64.

The only other major change needed was replacing grub with lilo
because of grubs pure 64bit incompatibiliy.

All in all the early build was pretty easy. I will be looking into the
test suites sometime throughout the week for grins. I will post back
with my findings for referance.

Has anyone else had  any experience with a pure64 build? Any words of
wisdom to share? Also what would be preferable a multi-lib build, or a
pure64 build?

Robert Baker