loop-aes swap

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Feb 8 20:02:45 PST 2009

This is my patch to make loop-aes use /dev/random exclusively, and exit
otherwise (no fallback). It's not perfect, it allows /dev/urandom to be used
to hit the swap space, during swapoff, so sha can hash it to generate
fallback entropy, even though swapon will exit before that happens... fixing
this could involve a #define or ./configure option. I did the fewest
modifications possible while still achieving my goal. This patch should be
functional:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~robert/new/patches/util-linux-ng-2.14.1-use_dev_random.diff

Only use this with rngd, or else you may wait for /dev/random for a very long
time when mounting swap.