We really need to update

robert baker robertmbaker at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 15:36:15 PDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 7:24 AM, Mwanguhya Daniel
Murungi<dmurungi at dicts.mak.ac.ug> wrote:
> On Sunday 09 August 2009 05:01:03 robert baker wrote:
>> svn.linuxfromscratch.org/HLFS/branches/Onward/
>
> We need to update; yes and that's what am working on in my free time. Am
> making a uClibc based build using instructions from Onward SVN and HLFS book
> SVN-20080603.
>
> Generally all packages from Onward SVN are working with gcc-4.2.4 and
> uClibc-0.9.30.1.  gcc testsuite is 'ok' - only 3 failures.  binutils tests
> are ok.
>
> Only problem I have is linking against libstdc++.  g++ testsuite fails
> miserably and I assume the failures result from linking against libstdc++. I
> have tried various kernel versions (2.6.30,2.6.29,2.6.29.1,2.6.27.20) but I
> keep getting the same error;
>>
> Daniel
>
> --

I wouldn't expect this to be a kernel issue. I have yet to build a
uclibc based host so I can only speak to what is going on on the glibc
side of things. With glibc we build the glibc shared librarys with
-fPIC, and then we build the binaries using -fPIE
-fstack-protector-all etc...

I would expect uclibc would have to have similar consideration. From a
cursory review of the patches available in the 20080603 uclibc book it
looks like the following patch privides that consideration.
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches/hlfs/svn/gcc-4.1.2-fpie-2.patch

This patch should configure gcc to pass -fPIC to all objects that are
compiled with -shared, -nostdlib, or -nostartfiles. Did you update
this patch, and or find a functional one for use on your current
build?

Robert Baker