Onward branch

Mordae mordae at anilinux.org
Thu Sep 18 22:45:46 PDT 2008

On Friday 19 September 2008 01:42:43 Robert Connolly wrote:
> On Wednesday September 17 2008 03:20:16 am Jan Dvorak wrote:
> > This sounds like package users simplified enough to be usable. If you
> > want to maintain which package installed the particular file, you can
> > always enable user_xattr and use extended attributes instead.
>
> I still like the idea of databasing filenames of packages into files,
> because this is the fastest way to retrieve it. Using extended attributes
> might have other advantages though.

Of course it is. It's the same problem as with original package users.
Searching large the directory trees is slow.

> > But still, the de-facto standard out there is to install as unprivileged
> > user elsewhere, create package and then merge it into the system. Glibc,
> > gcc, binutils, probably all other GNU packages in the book can be
> > installed like this without any modifications.
>
> This would still use two unprivileged users... one to build and install to
> elsewhere, and the other to own the packages on the real system.

Right. Ideally "bin" with id 1 and then some other for builds.

> > Other acceptable approach would be the installing packages to separate
> > directories. It would require a bit of scripting, but in the end, you
> > would install to a dedicated g+w,o+t directory and use a script to chown
> > package, symlink selected files to /usr and run some specialized thingies
> > like install-info...
>
> I don't think this is worth the trouble.

Actually, it's not as bad as it looks like, but it's not the "standard" way to
do things.

So, are we getting somewhere? What will the future build system be like?