Onward branch - update

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 18 21:10:23 PDT 2008

I feel closer to a stable release than ever before. We have everything needed
to say it wasn't just slapped together to make a release. There's still work
to finish, but it's all doable.

We have:
Stack smashing protector on everything except the kernel and glibc libraries.
ld -z relro, -z now on everything except the kernel.
-fpie/fpic on everything but the kernel, for aslr. No text relocations.
fortify_source on everthing except glibc libraries.
gcc42+binutils-2.19+glibc-2.8.

todo:
No suid-root programs.
Coherent documentation.

I prefer to do hlfs-stable before the reboot changes, and make linux-2.6.25
kernel, with capabilities, a dependency for the host. Otherwise -stable is
farther away, with no real benefit to the finished system. However, I am
willing to postpone -stable for reboot(fewer host dependencies) and
unprivileged-build-user changes, if this is what people want from hlfs-1.0.