Wiki?

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 18 16:52:40 PDT 2008

On Wednesday September 17 2008 10:43:37 am Jan Dvorak wrote:
> Hi robert, everyone,
>
> 	if I'm willing to write a wiki-like app for the book, what resources are
> available to me (where can it run, with what SW)? What are requirements?
> I have some features in mind, but I'd like to hear your opinions.
>
>  *  Pages stored as plain files.
>  *  Each page has type (application/x-hlfs-recipe, text/plain...)
>  *  Recipes can be downloaded or viewed colored.
>  *  Branching support, for now only limited merge support.
>  *  Branch can be downloaded as a whole (releases).
>  *  Privilege system (similar to Trac's) partially bound to branches.
>  *  Kind of signing support. User can download whole branch and create
> detached gpg signature which he uploads again to finish signing.

I like all these ideas.

>  *  Some things would require running shell commands and cacheing of few
> kbs (branch snapshot to download)...

The wiki page should be reasonably easy to read (spacing, etc). The wiki pages
should work as shell scripts when downloaded with the link. This download
link is important, so that wget can mass download a text book from the
current wiki. It would also be nice to have a simple way to publish snapshots
of the wiki into html, for releases.

Getting nice spacing, etc, on the wiki page ends up putting html code in the
text version. This is my major problem right now.