Onward branch

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 18 16:42:43 PDT 2008

On Wednesday September 17 2008 03:20:16 am Jan Dvorak wrote:
> This sounds like package users simplified enough to be usable. If you want
> to maintain which package installed the particular file, you can always
> enable user_xattr and use extended attributes instead.

I still like the idea of databasing filenames of packages into files, because
this is the fastest way to retrieve it. Using extended attributes might have
other advantages though.

> But still, the de-facto standard out there is to install as unprivileged
> user elsewhere, create package and then merge it into the system. Glibc,
> gcc, binutils, probably all other GNU packages in the book can be
> installed like this without any modifications.

This would still use two unprivileged users... one to build and install to
elsewhere, and the other to own the packages on the real system.

> Other acceptable approach would be the installing packages to separate
> directories. It would require a bit of scripting, but in the end, you
> would install to a dedicated g+w,o+t directory and use a script to chown
> package, symlink selected files to /usr and run some specialized thingies
> like install-info...

I don't think this is worth the trouble.