Preemptive strategies

Heiko Zuerker heiko at zuerker.org
Thu Sep 18 00:03:02 PDT 2008

Quoting "Robert Connolly" <robert at linuxfromscratch.org>:

> On Monday September 15 2008 12:21:16 pm Chris Buxton wrote:
>> I have some experience with chroot jails, including setting them up
>> from scratch and debugging them.
>
> Do you use the 'runas' program? Are there reasons not to use it?

We use "compartment" in Devil-Linux. I think the guys at SuSE wrote
it. It helps you if the maintainer of a program didn't add any code to
run it as non-root. It also allows you to use assign only certain
privileges to the program.

Take a look at the JAILKIT, it provides a handy tool jsocketd. This
spares you all the trouble with having syslog(-ng) listen in
additional chroot folder structures. You simply add the creation of
the forwarding socket to the jail initialization script.

Unfortunately chroot jails are like a step child, nobody really wants
to maintain them. There's a lot we could do, but you need the time to
pull it off...

--

Regards
   Heiko Zuerker