Onward branch

Jan Dvorak jan.dvorak at sitronicsts.com
Wed Sep 17 07:23:31 PDT 2008

On Wednesday 17 September 2008 15:57:40 Chris Buxton wrote:
> add a version number and you have the
> ability to keep an old version around when upgrading.

Possibly, yes.

The main problem here lies with package upgrades themselves. How reliable
is to have newer version of this library while this app was linked
against the older version? They may or may not be binary compatible. The
best would be to recompile against newer version, but... rebuild whole
system after glibc? Or just *rebuild* (not upgrade) direct dependencies?

You can rely on library names and patch all libraries to include version
numbers after .so the way libtool does, but that would require some
effort. My tip would be... use debian sources, read debian/rules to get
correct build options and tweaks plus apply non-debian-only patches. Or
Fedora if you prefer reading .spec files.

Package directories works, see GoboLinux. I personally don't like them.
You can steal from Gentoo, too. They are pretty good with from-source
updates and if you mimic revdep-rebuild somehow, you are good to deploy.

Aaaa... this is too complicated for my head.