Onward branch

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Sep 3 15:14:26 PDT 2008

On Wednesday September 3 2008 03:14:45 am Jan Dvorak wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 September 2008 01:14:09 Robert Connolly wrote:
> > I don't think I gave the wiki enough consideration, as a place to keep
> > the hlfs book. Pages can still be written as shell scripts, and
> > downloaded as plain text (a wget script could automate this). Wiki has
> > a lot of advantages.
>
> 	So, write a simple wiki that will format /^#/ lines (paragraphs,
> headings, links) and show rest as source code. Every page can be
> downloaded as a plain text.
>
> 	It may be dangerous. If it's truly open wiki, one can insert malicious
> commands right in the middle and someone may not notice and install such
> system. Plus, you have to store patches somewhere. If it's the wiki again
> (and it should be there) someone can modify kernel or glibc patches,
> which are generally not read by anyone.
>
> 	So... you need to limit write access to trusted people.

Development book versions could be writtable by anyone (who is registered).
I'm not sure if it's possible for non-admins to post patches/wiki-pages
read-only. A release version of the book, and patches, would be gone through
word by word, a few times, edited, set read-only, and then copied to the next
development version. There should be a list of guildlines for anyone
modifying the book, like to add origins of patches, where to discuss major
changes, etc.