Wiki Development Festival

Petr Cerny peterph-lists at black-net.org
Fri Oct 17 15:08:27 PDT 2008

Jan Dvorak wrote:
> Hi fellow fromscratchers,

> But... HLFS needs you. Right now, Robert has to go through pain and
> suffering of not having nice colored HTML book and having to write
> shell scripts in an old text editor. And not only him. Other people,
>  especially newbies, have no chance of understanding fruits of his
> work if they are not served with sweet, colorful topping of CSS.

I'm sorry - I obviously don't get it. Isn't the Book written in
DocBook (which itself is SGML/XML)? Do you want to write a converter
from HTML to DocBook? Or some wiki with export to DocBook? Or do you
want to move completely from DocBook to wiki? How would you handle
exports to TeX/PDF/PS then?

Could you, please, be more specific about "not having colored HTML
book"? What would you like let's say
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs/view/unstable/glibc-2.6/chapter06/butterfly-toolchain.html
to look like? Wouldn't it be possible to achieve it by changing the
XSLTs applied during the export from DocBook to HTML?

And what do you mean by: "suffering of writing scripts in an old text
editor"? What else than a "text editor" is one supposed to use for
writing shell scripts?

I'm trying to say that you may be wasting your time on something which
is not necessarily needed. IMHO the only valid reason seems to be only
the easiness of updating. Then however, reformatting the sources in such
a way that plain-text diffs of the XML sources are be easier to apply
might be a better option (sorry if that is done already - I just checked
a half year old version which happens to be on my HD). Access rights,
merging capabilities etc. would be sorted out by a (carefully selected)
versioning system.

Kind regards
	Petr