Where we're going, and how we got there, so far.

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Oct 1 19:51:41 PDT 2008

On Wednesday October 1 2008 09:48:23 pm Jean-Philippe MENGUAL wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to understand the end of the message. It means that now, trunk/BOOK
> (xml files) isn't developped anymore, to see updates it's necessary to use
> only onward branch? Or that before writting a final release in trunk/BOOK,
> it's necessary to think of changes in Onward branch? What is exactly Onward
> branch, and what's the actual status of trunk/BOOK? Is there an equivalent
> (which will be updated) of the actual trunk/BOOK?
>
> Thanks for explanations.
>
> Sincerely, JP

I'll keep using svn. The Onward branch hasn't been written yet, but will
probably go in branches/Onward in svn until it is usable, then it will be
merged to trunk/. Onward is basically the new unstable branch.

For Onward I'm planning to bump the toolchain to gcc42, glibc2.8, and
binutils-2.19, while stabilizing the new build method.

As far as I know the trunk glibc book is not broken in any way, and updated
packages are not necessary (but you can use newer packages if you want).

The Onward branch may take some time to finish, because I want to fix the
issues with the gcc and binutils test suites, with a policy of not upgrading
or making changes that break test suites. I have a few ideas on how to do
this, but I don't know which will work best.

I want to upload pages to Onward branch for /tools, to get started, because I
will need help with the reboot method. I wanted to use the wiki for this, but
until then I'll use svn.