vim

marty marty at goodoldmarty.com
Fri May 30 09:44:23 PDT 2008

I rebuilt vim with additional options and got some errors.
My changes were not the problem however.

If /bin/vi,vim, /usr/bin/vi,vim exist this error occurs.
Deleting existing binaries and links resolves the issue.

Note the way the install script gets rid of 1 binary. Funny.
The error message is borked by our use of symlinks.

make[2]: Leaving directory `/sources/vim71/src/xxd'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/sources/vim71/src'
root:/sources/vim71# make install
Starting make in the src directory.
If there are problems, cd to the src directory and run make there
cd src && make install
make[1]: Entering directory `/sources/vim71/src'
if test -f /usr/bin/vim; then \
          mv -f /usr/bin/vim /usr/bin/vim.rm; \
          rm -f /usr/bin/vim.rm; \
        fi
cp vim /usr/bin
cp: cannot stat `/usr/bin/vim': Too many levels of symbolic links
make[1]: *** [installvimbin] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/sources/vim71/src'
make: *** [install] Error 2

Marty B.
--
Building a better mousetrap only results in better mice. C. Darwin