glibc issues

marty marty at goodoldmarty.com
Tue Mar 25 00:09:09 PDT 2008

>> > Robert's glibc-hlfs book builds pretty well if you follow the directions
>> > EXACTLY and don't get creative. You should have 0(zero) Error 1 failures.
>
> I've continued, and there does not seem to be any major issues.  For the case
> of safety, however, once chapter 6 was completed, I started it over to ensure
> a clean and proper build.
>
> In addition, I am not going for a vanilla build; Some of the packages I intend
> to use are not covered by the vanilla HLFS build, including Metalog, dhcpd, and
> LVM.

It doesn't matter what you add to the system after you install the final
toolchain and boot with the new kernel. But don't think of building that other
stuff until you finish the book successfully.

>> > Building HLFS is an unforgiving process. If you are seeing terminal failures,
>> > the toolchain is probably already borked. Just start all over again fresh from
>> > the beginning, (as many times as it takes to overcome human nature:)
>
> I think the failures are based in the fact that I'm building a hardened system
> in a differently-hardened system (gentoo-hardened), and the two sets of options
> are conflicting with one another.

There are very likely to be issues from the start when using a hardened host
system. It's less problematic using a vanilla toolchain and vanilla kernel.

>> > When you post, include some build environment info for reference. Some
>> > platforms have issues that are not documented.
>
> Okay.  What information would be appropriate for such a situation.  The system
> is a 2.8GHz P4 with 1GB of RAM.  The host OS is a hardened Gentoo system using
> kernel 2.6.22.3.  Pax does seem to be installed, which accounts for the original
> issue that started this thread.  Having passed that hurdle, however, there does
> not seem to be any instability at this time.

Pax is easily disabled, when you discover if you have it or not.
Gentoo has extensive documentation on Pax.

Marty B.

--
Building a better mousetrap only results in better mice. C. Darwin