glibc issues

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Mar 21 16:51:26 PDT 2008

On Thursday March 20 2008 07:39:19 pm Lampros Liontos wrote:
> I'm currently running through the HLFS steps, and at the first instance of
> glibc in chapter 6, I am coming across some errors that do not seem to show
> in the book, or in any searches I've done.
>
> --- grep -n Error glibc-check-log
>
> > 2021:make[2]: [/usr/src/glibc/glibc-build/posix/annexc.out] Error 1
>
> (ignored)
>
> > 3059:make[2]: *** [/usr/src/glibc/glibc-build/nptl/tst-execstack.out]
>
> Error 1
>
> > 3123:make[1]: *** [nptl/tests] Error 2
> > 4045:make[2]: *** [/usr/src/glibc/glibc-build/elf/tst-execstack.out]
> > Error
>
> 1
>
> > 4050:make[2]: ***
>
> [/usr/src/glibc/glibc-build/elf/tst-execstack-needed.out] Error 127
>
> > 4055:make[2]: *** [/usr/src/glibc/glibc-build/elf/tst-execstack-prog.out]
> > Error 127
> > 4128:make[1]: *** [elf/tests] Error 2
> > 4134:make: *** [check] Error 2
>
> I understand the annexc.out was expected to fail, but the rest are somewhat
> confusing.

I'm going to guess this is caused by grsecurity noexestack option. I've never
tried testing Glibc with it enabled, but Glibc itself will run correctly with
that option enabled. Grsecurity should have logged it to syslog, if that's
what it is.

For the moment I don't suggest running the test suite for GCC/Binutils. The
GCC tests in particular will have a very high failure rate because the tests
do not expect us to be using the options we use, and they don't respect
CFLAGS so there doesn't seem to be a simple way to run the test suite without
the hardening options (like we can with Glibc). The test failures from
GCC/Binutils are bugs in the tests, not in GCC itself. I haven't had time to
figure out how to disable hardening for the test suite. CFLAGS used to work
back with gcc3, but things have changed.

Your Glibc test results are close to perfect. If you can confirm it's
Grsecurity causing the permission denied's then you can safely ignore them.