glibc issues

Lampros Liontos reteo at hotpop.com
Thu Mar 20 16:39:19 PDT 2008

I'm currently running through the HLFS steps, and at the first instance of
glibc in chapter 6, I am coming across some errors that do not seem to show
in the book, or in any searches I've done.

--- grep -n Error glibc-check-log

> 2021:make[2]: [/usr/src/glibc/glibc-build/posix/annexc.out] Error 1
(ignored)
> 3059:make[2]: *** [/usr/src/glibc/glibc-build/nptl/tst-execstack.out]
Error 1
> 3123:make[1]: *** [nptl/tests] Error 2
> 4045:make[2]: *** [/usr/src/glibc/glibc-build/elf/tst-execstack.out] Error
1
> 4050:make[2]: ***
[/usr/src/glibc/glibc-build/elf/tst-execstack-needed.out] Error 127
> 4055:make[2]: *** [/usr/src/glibc/glibc-build/elf/tst-execstack-prog.out]
> Error 127
> 4128:make[1]: *** [elf/tests] Error 2
> 4134:make: *** [check] Error 2

I understand the annexc.out was expected to fail, but the rest are somewhat
confusing.

However, tst-execstack.out is confusing; when I attempt to output it (via
`cat /usr/src/glibc/glibc-build/nptl/tst-execstack.out`), it returns the
following message:

"cannot load: tst-execstack-mod.so: cannot enable executable stack as shared
object requires: Permission denied"

Has anyone else come across this error?  I am assuming the rest afterward
might be related to the issue, although attempting to display them with cat
has returned no errors so far.

One thing for the purpose of clarification: I am using, in addition to the
hardened lfs, the user package management system in the hints to build
this, so it might be the culprit, but I want to be certain.

--
  Lampros Liontos  <reteo at hotpop.com>     http://www.myspace.com/reteo
It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion